«Office of the Vice President and Provost University of Toronto 27 Kings College Circle Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A1 March 10, 2012 Degrees Doctor of ...»
Office of the Vice President and Provost
University of Toronto
27 Kings College Circle
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A1
March 10, 2012
Doctor of Philosophy University of Toronto
1992 - 1995 Faculty of Social Work
Master of Social Work University of Toronto
1978 - 1980 Toronto, Canada
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) Wilfrid Laurier University 1976 – 1978 Waterloo, Canada Awards and Honours 2011 Beverley Antle Award for Leadership Ontario Association of Social Workers 2009 Scientific Poster Award American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 2005 Media Award (for the book In the Line of Fire) Tema Conter Memorial Trust 2004 Amicus Award (for contributions to forensic psychiatry) American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 2003 – 2009 Sandra Rotman Chair Social Work Practice, University of Toronto 2003 Teacher of the Year Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto 2002 Teacher of the Year Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto 2001 Teacher of the Year Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto 1|P age
Research Grants Awarded – External Agencies 2011-2014 Regehr, C., LeBlanc, V., Bogo, M., Paterson, J., D. Goodman The Relative Influence of Training and Experience on Social Workers’ Professional Judgment Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, $132 000
2008-2009 M. McGillion, A., Dubrowski, C. McCartney, R. Stremler, J. Watt-Watson, I. Silver, J. Stinson, J. Hunter, S. Nelson, J. Costello, G. Tait, C. Victor, L. Snell, J. Wiseman, T. Dao, C. Regehr, A. Robb, H. Carnahan & M. Leegaard.
Efficacy and Quality of Deteriorating Patient-Based Simulation versus Standardized Patient-Based Simulation for Improving Health Care Professionals’ 3|P age
2007-2010 Bogo, M., Regehr, C. & Regehr, G.
Evaluating Social Work Students' Practice Competence: Integrating Performance Assessment and Reflective Practice Dialogues.
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Standard Research Grant, $119 692 2006 LeBlanc V, Regehr C, Campeau T, Scott A, MacDonald R, Morrison L.
The Effects of Acute Stress on Paramedic Performance Foundation for Air Medical Research and Education, $10 347
2006- 2010 Regehr, C., LeBlanc, V., Shlonsky, A. & Bogo, M.
Assessing Children’s Risk of Abuse: The Influence of Context and Worker Variables on Professional Judgment Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Standard Research Grant, $121 342
2004 Regehr, C., Barber, J., Trocmé, N., Hart, S. & Tourigny, M.
An Evidence-Based Model for Risk Assessment in Child Welfare Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Strategic Cluster Grants, $29 725 2004-2007 Barber, J., Goodman, D., Leslie, B., Mishna, F., O’Connor, B., Regehr, C., SimmonsPhysick, C., Spekkens, J., Stern, S. & Trocmé, N. (C. Regehr took over as PI in 2006) The Children’s Services Data Base Canada Foundation for Innovation, $745 260
Books Authored Volumes Regehr, C. & Glancy, G. (2010) Mental Health Social Work in Canada. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
(Second edition forthcoming in 2013) Burgess, A., Regehr, C. & Roberts, A. (2010/2012) Victimology: Theory and Practice. Jones and Bartlett.
(Second edition – 2012) Regehr, C. & Kanani, K. (2006 / 2010) Essential Law for Social Work Practice in Canada. Toronto: Oxford University Press (Second edition – 2010) 10 | P a g e
Regehr, C. & Bober, T. (2005 / 2008) In the Line of Fire: Trauma in the Emergency Services. New York:
Oxford University Press. (Online version published - 2008) Edited Volumes Roberts, A. & Yeager, K. (2004) Evidence Based Practice Manual: Research and Outcome Measures in Health and Human Sciences. New York: Oxford University Press. Consulting editors: Corcoran, K., Regehr, C. & Solomon, P.
Publications in Refereed Journals
1. LeBlanc, V., Regehr, C., Shlonsky, A. & Bogo, M. (In press) Stress Responses and Decision Making in Child Protection Workers Faced with High Conflict Situations. Child Abuse and Neglect
2. Bogo, M., Logie, C., Regehr, C. & Regehr, G. (In press) A Critical Appraisal of the Use of Standardized Client Simulations. Journal of Social Work Education.
3. Glancy, G. & Regehr, C. (In press) From Schadenfreude to Contemplation: Lessons for Forensic Experts. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law.
4. Regehr, C., Bogo, M., Donovan, K., Anstice, S. & Lim, A. (In press) Identifying Student Competencies in Macro Practice: Articulating the Practice Wisdom of Field Instructors. Journal of Social Work Education.
5. Bogo, M., Regehr, C., Katz, E., Logie, C., Tufford, L. & Litvack, A. (2012) Evaluating an Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) Adapted for Social Work. Research on Social Work Practice.
6. Alaggia, R., Regehr, C. & Jenny, A. (2011) Risky Business: An Ecological Analysis of Intimate Partner Violence Disclosure. Research on Social Work Practice.
7. LeBlanc, V., Regehr, C., Birze, A., King, K., Scott, A., McDonald, R. & Taveres, W. (2011) The Association Between Pre-Existing Trauma Symptoms and Acute Stress Responses in Paramedics.
Traumatology. Online first DOI 10.1177/1534765611429078
8. Regehr, K. & Regehr, C. (2011) Let Them Satisfy Their Lust on Thee: Titus Andronicus as a Window into Societal Understanding of PTSD. Traumatology. Online First DOI 10.1177/1534765611426791
9. Regehr, C., Bogo, M., Donovan, K., Lim, A. & Regehr, G. (2011). Evaluating a Scale to Measure Student Competencies in Macro Social Work Practice. Journal of Social Service Research. 38(1) 100-109 DOI 10.1080/01488376.2011.616756
10. Regehr, C., Bogo, M. & Regehr, G. (2011) Development of an Online Practice-Based Evaluation Tool for Social Work. Research on Social Work Practice. 21 (4) 469-475 11 | P a g e
11. Faulkner, C. & Regehr, C. (2011) Sexual Boundary Violations by Female Forensic Staff. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law. 39(2) 154-163.
12. Regehr, C. & Glancy, G. (2011) When Social Workers are Stalked: Risks, Strategies, and Legal Protections. Clinical Social Work Journal. 39 (3) 232-242
13. Bogo, M., Regehr, C., Katz, E., Logie, C., Mylopoulos, M., & Regehr, G. (2011). Developing a tool for assessing students’ reflections on practice. Social Work Education. 30(2) 186
14. Bogo, M., Regehr, G. & Regehr, C. (2011) Adapting Objective Structured Clinical Examinations to Assess Social Work Students’ Performance and Reflections. Journal of Social Work Education.
15. Regehr, C., Bogo, M., Shlonsky, A. & LeBlanc, V. (2010). Confidence and Professional Judgment in Assessing Children’s Risk of Abuse. Research in Social Work Practice. 20(6) 621-628
16. Rowe, A. & Regehr, C. (2010) Whatever gets you through today: An examination of cynical humor in emergency services professionals. Journal of Loss and Trauma. 15 (5) 448-464
17. Regehr, C., LeBlanc, V., Shlonsky, A. & Bogo, M. (2010) The Influence of Clinicians’ Previous Trauma Exposure on their Assessment of Child Abuse Risk. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease.198(9) 614-618
18. Donovan, K. & Regehr, C. (2010) Elder Abuse: Clinical, Ethical and Legal Issues in Social Work Practice. Clinical Social Work Journal. 38(2) 174-182
19. Regehr, C., Swift, K., Leigh, J., Matus,J. & Delaney, J. (2010) Absence Declarations in Lieu of Doctors' Notes. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 101(2) 186-187.
20. Alaggia, R., Regehr, C. and Rishchynsky, G. (2009) Intimate Partner Violence and Immigration Laws in Canada: How Far Have We Come? International Journal of Law and Psychiatry.32: 335-341.
21. Lui, J. and Regehr, C. (2009) Power and Control as a Framework for Practice —the Case of Intimate Partner Violence Work in Taiwan. Brief Treatment and Crisis Intervention. 8(4) 381-389.
22. Alaggia, R., Lambert, L. & Regehr, C. (2009) Where is the Justice?: Parental Experiences of the Canadian Justice System in Cases of Child Sexual Abuse. Family Court Review.47(4) 634-649
23. Sussman, T. & Regehr, C. (2009). The Influence of Community Based Services on the Burden of Spouses Caring for Their Partners with Dementia. Social Work in Health Care. 34(1) 29-39
24. Regehr, C. (2009) Social Support as a Mediator of Psychological Distress in Firefighters. Irish Journal of Psychology.30(1) 85-96 12 | P a g e
25. Regehr, C. LeBlanc, V., Jelley, B. & Barath, I. (2008) Acute Stress and Performance in Police Recruits. Stress and Health. 24(3) 295-303
26. Regehr, C., Roberts, A. & Bober, T. (2008) On the brink of disaster: A model for reducing the social and psychological impact. Journal of Social Service Research. 34(3) 5-14
27. LeBlanc, V., Regehr, C., Jelley, B. & Barath, I. (2008) The relationship between coping styles, performance and responses to stressful scenarios in police recruits. International Journal of Stress Management. 15(1) 76-93
28. Regehr, C., Alaggia, R., Lambert, L. & Saini, M. (2008) Victims of Sexual Violence in the Canada Criminal Courts. Victims and Offenders. 3(1) 1-15
29. Dylan, A., Regehr, C. & Alaggia, R. (2008) And justice for all?: Aboriginal victims of sexual violence. Violence Against Women. 14(6) 678-696.
30. Gearing, R., Colvin, G., Popova, L. & Regehr, C. (2008) Re: Membering Fatherhood: Evaluating the Impact of a Group Fathering Intervention. Journal for Specialists in Group Work. 33(1) 22-42.
31. Regehr, C. & Millar, D. (2007) Situation Critical: High Demand, Low Control, and Low Support in Paramedic Organizations. Traumatology. 13, 49-58
32. Bogo, M., Regehr, C., Power, R. & Regehr, G. (2007) When values collide: Field instructors’ experiences of providing feedback and evaluating competency. The Clinical Supervisor. 26(1/2) 99LeBlanc, V., Regehr, C., Jelley, B. & Barath, I. (2007) Posttraumatic Stress and Police Recruit Performance. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 195(8), 701-704
34. Regehr, C. LeBlanc, V., Barath, I. & Jelley, B. (2007) Trauma and Exposure in New Police Officers:
A One Year Follow-up of New Recruits. Canadian Journal of Police and Security Services. 5(3/4)
35. Regehr, C., LeBlanc, V., Jelley, B., Barath, I. & Daciuk, J. (2007) Previous Trauma as a Predictor of Subjective and Biological Response to High Stress Situations in Policing. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 10, 63-71.
36. Regehr, C., Bober, T., & Johanis, D. (2007) Development and Evolution of a Crisis Support Service at an International Airport. International Journal of Emergency Management, 4(2) 239-249
37. Regehr, C., Stern, S. & Shlonsky, A. (2007) Operationalizing Evidence Based Practice: The Development of a Research Institute in Evidence Based Social Work. Research on Social Work Practice. 17: 408-416.
38. Regehr, G., Regehr, C. Power, R., Bogo, M. (2007) Can we build a better mousetrap?: Improving measures of social work practice performance in the field. Journal of Social Work Education.
43(2)327-344 13 | P a g e
39. Lui, J. & Regehr, C. (2006) Cross-Cultural application of self-in-relation theory: The case of Taiwanese women. International Social Work. 49 (4) 459-470
40. Bogo, M., Regehr, C., Woodford, M., Hughes, J., Power, R.,& Regehr, G. (2006). Beyond competencies: Field instructors’ descriptions of student performance. Journal of Social Work Education, 42(3) 191-205.
41. Cheon, A. & Regehr, C. (2006) Restorative justice in cases of intimate partner violence:
Reviewing the evidence. Victims and Offenders. 1(4) 369-394
42. Bober, T., Regehr, C. & Zhou, R. (2006) Development of the Coping Strategies Inventory for Trauma Counselors. Journal of Loss and Trauma. 11:71-83.
43. Bober, T. & Regehr, C. (2006) Strategies for Reducing Secondary or Vicarious Trauma: Do They Work? Brief Treatment and Crisis Intervention. 6(1) 1-9
44. Regehr, C, Leslie, B., Howe, P. & Chau, S. (2005) Stress, Trauma and Support in Child Welfare Workers. APSAC Advisor Journal. 17(2) 12-18
45. Regehr, C. & Alaggia, R. (2005) Perspectives on Justice for Victims of Sexual Violence. Victims and Offenders: A Journal of Evidence-Based Practice. Preview Issue. Reprinted (2006) 1 (1) 33-46.
46. Kjerulf, M., Regehr, C., Popova, S. & Baker, A. (2005) Family perceptions of end of life care in an urban ICU. Dynamics: Journal of the Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses. 16(3), 22-25.
47. Regehr, C., Dimitropoulos, G., Bright, E., George, S. & Henderson, J. (2005) Behind the Brotherhood:
Rewards and Challenges for Families of Firefighters. Family Relations. 54 (3) 423-435.
48. Regehr, C. (2005) Bringing Home the Trauma: Spouses of Paramedics. Journal of Loss and Trauma.
10 (2) 97-114.
49. Mishna, F., Antle, B., Regehr, C. (2004) Tapping into the Inner World of Children: Emerging Ethical Issues in Qualitative Research. Qualitative Social Work. 3(4) 449-468.