ODip (Hong Kong Polytechnic) 1980 Medical Laboratory Science
BRIEF OUTLINE OF EXPERIENCE AND POSTS HELD:
Jan 2016 – present Head, Department of Health Technology & Informatics, PolyU July 2013 – June 2015 Associate Head, Department of Health Technology & Informatics, PolyU Associate Head (Research), Department of Health Technology & July 2009 - June 2013 Informatics, PolyU 2005 - Now Professor, Department of Health Technology and Informatics, PolyU Feb 2000 - 2005 Associate Professor, Biomedical Science Section, School of Nursing, PolyU Oct 1992 - Jan 2000 Assistant Professor/Lecturer (College of Degree Studies), Biomedical Science Section, Department of Nursing & Health Sciences, PolyU Oct 1990 - Sept 1992 Lecturer, Department of Health Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic July 1987 - Nov 1990 Medical Technologist, United Christian Hospital, Hong Kong Jan 1987 - July 1987 Acting Medical Technologist, United Christian Hospital, Hong Kong Sept 1980 - Jan 1987 Medical Laboratory Technician II, United Christian Hospital, Hong Hong
Genetic variation: its detection, application and significance in relation to human health-related conditions. Genetic analysis of complex diseases (myopia, cancer, etc) and molecular diagnostics.
Current major projects focus on (1) Genomics of ocular diseases, (2) Molecular genetics of blood cancers, and (3) Molecular diagnostics.
SERVICES TO PROFESSIONAL & SCIENTIFIC BODIES, CONSULTANCIES:
• Examiners for postgraduate research theses
• Members of Editorial Boards for academic journals:
The Application of Clinical Genetics (Mar 2008 – present) Frontiers in Genetics (Sept 2011 – present) HOAJ Biology (Jan 2012 – present)
• Reviewer for academic journals (Archives of Ophthalmology, BioTechniques, Blood, British Journal of Haematology, BMC Genetics, Clinical Chemistry, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, Journal of Medical Genetics, Molecular Biology and Evolution, Molecular Vision, Transfusion, Transfusion Medicine, and Vox Sanguinis)
• Reviewer for research grants/proposals GRF and NSFC/RGC proposals (Research Grant Council, HK), National Medical Research Council (Singapore), and Auckland Medical Research Foundation (New Zealand) Member, Grant Review Board (Food and Health Bureau, Government of Hong Kong SAR) for the Health and Health Services Research Fund (HHSRF) and the Research Fund for the Control of Infectious Diseases (RFCID), 1 Oct 2007 to 30 Sept 2013. [Since July 2012, these two research funds were incorporated into the new Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF).]
• Co-Chair, Grant Review Board, Health and Medical Research Fund, Food and Health Bureau (1 Mar 2013 to 30 Sept 2016)
• Member, Grant Review Board, Research Fund for Control of Infectious Diseases, Food and Health Bureau (1 Oct 2007 to 28 Feb 2013)
• Chairman, Organizing Committee, International Conference on Advanced Molecular Technologies held on 7-9 March 2014 in Hong Kong
• Member, Local Organizing Committee for 9th Asia-Pacific Conference on Human Genetics held on 30 Nov – 3 Dec 2010
• Chairman of Scientific Affairs, Organizing Committee for 2nd Asia Pacific Symposium on Advanced Molecular Technologies – New Horizon in Molecular Diagnostics held on 13-15 August 2010.
• Member, Local Organizing Committee for the ACGA-HKSMG International Conference on “Genetic and Genomic Medicine” held on 8-11 June 2008.
• Member, Medical Laboratory Technologists Board, HK (Mar 2006 – Feb 2012)
• HOKLAS Assessor (Medical) for Hong Kong Accreditation Service, Hong Kong SAR Government, for accrediting medical laboratories (April 2005 – present)
• Founding Council Member & Academic Secretary, Hong Kong Society of Molecular Diagnostic Sciences, June 2003 - present)
AWARDS AND PATENTS:
• Ultrasensitive and closed-tube colorimetric loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay using carboxyl-modified gold nanoparticles (Thomas MH Lee, Kwun Fung Wong, Shea Ping Yip; Patent Application No. in China 140425HK01(LT0'S Ref.PI145040), 28 February 2014) Yip SP (CV)
• Ultra-stable oligonucleotide-gold and -silver nanoparticle conjugates prepared by a facile silica reinforcement method (Thomas MH Lee, Kwun Fung Wong, Shea Ping Yip; US Patent Application Publication No. US 2013/0022682 A, January 24, 2013; Patent Application No. in China 2012102544078, 20 July 2012)
• The J Lloyd Hewett Award 2012 A joint recipient of the award for a paper published in Clinical and Experimental Optometry.
Selection is based on the importance of the issue addressed and significance of the conclusions of the paper, intellectual and technical difficulty and elegance of investigation or analysis, quality of the writing and soundness of arguments, referee ratings and the number of citations the paper received.
Kwan WC, Yip SP, Yap MK. Monochromatic aberrations of the human eye and myopia.
Clin Exp Optom 2009; 92: 304-312.
• Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarship (Sept 1994 to Sep 1997).
This was awarded by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the United Kingdom for full-time PhD studies in Human Genetics at the University College London, University of London, UK.
(Journal articles, book chapters, monographs and conference papers; Total: 235) Papers indexed in PubMed [Go to PubMed] Genetics of ocular diseases
• Miyake M, Yamashiro K, Tabara Y, Suda K, Morooka S, Nakanishi H, Khor CC, Chen P, Qiao F, Nakata I, Akagi-Kurashige Y, Gotoh N, Tsujikawa A, the Nagahama Study Group, Meguro A, Kusuhara S, Polasek O, Hayward C, Wright AF, Campbell H, Richardson AJ, Schache M, Takeuchi M, Mackey DA, Hewitt AW, Cuellar G, Shi Y, Huang L, Yang Z, Leung KH, Kao PY, Yap MK, Yip SP, Moriyama M, Ohno-Matsui K, Mizuki N, MacGregor S, Vitart V, Saw SM, Tai ES, Wong TY, Cheng CY, Baird PN, Yamada R, Matsuda F, Yoshimura N.
Identification of the WNT7B gene provides insights into the mechanism underlying myopia development. Nat Commun 2015; 6: 6689. [
• Li Q, Wojciechowski R, Simpson CL, Hysi PG, Verhoeven VJ, Ikram MK, Höhn R, Vitart V, Hewitt AW, Oexle K, Mäkelä KM, MacGregor S, Pirastu M, Fan Q, Cheng CY, St Pourcain B, McMahon G, Kemp JP, Northstone K, Rahi JS, Cumberland PM, Martin NG, Sanfilippo PG, Lu Y, Wang YX, Hayward C, Polašek O, Campbell H, Bencic G, Wright AF, Wedenoja J, Zeller T, Schillert A, Mirshahi A, Lackner K, Yip SP, Yap MK, Ried JS, Gieger C, Murgia F, Wilson JF, Fleck B, Yazar S, Vingerling JR, Hofman A, Uitterlinden A, Rivadeneira F, Amin N, Karssen L, Oostra BA, Zhou X, Teo YY, Tai ES, Vithana E, Barathi V, Zheng Y, Siantar RG, Neelam K, Shin Y, Lam J, Yonova-Doing E, Venturini C, Hosseini SM, Wong HS, Lehtimäki T, Kähönen M, Raitakari O, Timpson NJ, Evans DM, Khor CC, Aung T, Young TL, Mitchell P, Klein B, van Duijn CM, Meitinger T, Jonas JB, Baird PN, Mackey DA, Wong TY, Saw SM, Pärssinen O, Stambolian D, Hammond CJ, Klaver CC, Williams C, Paterson AD, Bailey-Wilson JE, Guggenheim JA; The CREAM Consortium. Genome-wide association study for refractive astigmatism reveals genetic co-determination with spherical equivalent refractive error: the CREAM consortium. Hum Genet 2015; 134: 131-46. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Cheng CY, Schache M, Ikram MK, Young TL, Guggenheim JA, Vitart V, MacGregor S, Verhoeven VJ, Barathi VA, Liao J, Hysi PG, Bailey-Wilson JE, St Pourcain B, Kemp JP, McMahon G, Timpson NJ, Evans DM, Montgomery GW, Mishra A, Wang YX, Xing Y, Wang JJ, Rochtchina E, Polasek O, Wright AF, Amin N, van Leeuwen EM, Wilson JF, van Yip SP (CV) Duijn CM, de Jong PT, Vingerling JR, Zhou X, Chen P, Li R, Tay WT, Zheng Y, Chew M, Consortium for Refractive Error and Myopia, Burdon KP, Craig JE, Iyengar SK, Igo RP, Lass JH, Fuchs, Genetics Multi-Center Study Group, Chew EY, Haller T, Mihailov E, Metspalu A, Simpson CL, Wojciechowski R, Hoehn R, Mirshahi A, Zeller T, Pfeiffer N, Lackner KJ, Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium, Bettecken T, Meitinger T, Oexle K, Pirastu M, Portas L, Nag A, Williams KM, Yonova-Doing E, Klein R, Klein BE, Hosseini SM, Paterson AD, Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions, and Complications Research Group, Makela KM, Lehtimaki T, Kahonen M, Raitakari O, Yoshimura N, Matsuda F, Chen LJ, Pang CP, Yip SP, Yap MK, Meguro A, Mizuki N, Inoko H, Foster PJ, Zhao JH, Vithana E, Tai ES, Fan Q, Campbell H, Fleck B, Aung T, Hofman A, Uitterlinden AG, Bencic G, Khor CC, Forward H, Parssinen O, Rivadeneira F, Hewitt AW, Williams C, Oostra BA, Teo YY, Hammond CJ, Stambolian D, Klaver CC, Wong TY, Saw SM, Baird PN. Nine loci for ocular axial length identified through genome-wide association studies, including shared loci with refractive error. Am J Hum Genet 2013; 93, 264-77.
[Abstract in PubMed]
• Lechner J, Bae HA, Guduric-Fuchs J, Rice A, Govindarajan G, Siddiqui S, Abi Farraj L, Yip SP, Yap MK, Das MR, Souzeau E, Coster D, Mills RA, Lindsay R, Phillips T, Mitchell P, Ali M, Inglehearn CF, Sundaresan P, Craig JE, Simpson DA, Burdon KP, Willoughby CE.
Mutational analysis of MIR184 in sporadic keratoconus and myopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2013; 54: 5266-72. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Yip SP, Li CC, Yiu WC, Hung WH, Lam WW, Lai MC, Ng PW, Fung WY, Chu PH, Jiang B, Chan HH, Yap MK. A novel missense mutation in the NYX gene associated with high myopia. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 2013; 33; 346-53. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Yiu WC, Fung WY, Ng PW, Yap MK, Yip SP. Genetic susceptibility to refractive error:
association of vasoactive intestinal peptide receptor 2 (VIPR2) with high myopia in Chinese.
PLoS One 2013; 8: e61805. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Verhoeven VJ, Hysi PG, Wojciechowski R, Fan Q, Guggenheim JA, Höhn R, MacGregor S, Hewitt AW, Nag A, Cheng CY, Yonova-Doing E, Zhou X, Ikram MK, Buitendijk GH, McMahon G, Kemp JP, Pourcain BS, Simpson CL, Mäkelä KM, Lehtimäki T, Kähönen M, Paterson AD, Hosseini SM, Wong HS, Xu L, Jonas JB, Pärssinen O, Wedenoja J, Yip SP, Ho DW, Pang CP, Chen LJ, Burdon KP, Craig JE, Klein BE, Klein R, Haller T, Metspalu A, Khor CC, Tai ES, Aung T, Vithana E, Tay WT, Barathi VA, the CREAM Consortium, Chen P, Li R, Liao J, Zheng Y, Ong RT, Döring A, Evans DM, Timpson NJ, Meitinger T, Raitakari O, Hawthorne F, Spector TD, Karssen LC, Pirastu M, Murgia F, Ang W, Mishra A, Montgomery GW, Pennell CE, Cumberland PM, Cotlarciuc I, Mitchell P, Wang JJ, Schache M, Janmahasathian S, Igo Jr RP, Lass JH, Chew E, Iyengar SK, the Fuchs’ Genetics MultiCenter Study Group, Gorgels TG, Rudan I, Hayward C, Wright AF, Polasek O, Vatavuk Z, Wilson JF, Fleck B, Zeller T, Mirshahi A, Müller C, Uitterlinden AG, Rivadeneira F, Vingerling JR, Hofman A, Oostra BA, Amin N, Bergen AA, Teo YY, Rahi JS, Vitart V, Williams C, Baird PN, Wong TY, Oexle K, Pfeiffer N, Mackey DA, Young TL, van Duijn CM, Saw SM, Bailey-Wilson JE, Stambolian D, Klaver CC, Hammond CJ. Genome-wide meta-analyses of multi-ethnic cohorts identify multiple new susceptibility loci for refractive error and myopia. Nat Genet 2013; 45: 314-8. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Zhu MM, Yap MK, Ho DW, Fung WY, Ng PW, Gu YS, Yip SP. Investigating the relationship between UMODL1 gene polymorphisms and high myopia: a case-control study in Chinese.
BMC Med Genet 2012; 13: 64. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Ho DW, Yap MK, Ng PW, Fung WY, Yip SP. Association of high myopia with crystalline beta A4 (CRYBA4) gene polymorphisms in the linkage-identified MYP6 locus. PLoS One 2012;
7: e40238. [Abstract in PubMed] Yip SP (CV)
• Mak JY, Yap MK, Fung WY, Ng PW, Yip SP. Association of IGF1 gene haplotypes with high myopia in Chinese adults. Arch Ophthalmol 2012; 130: 209-216. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Yip SP, Leung KH, Ng PW, Fung WY, Sham PC, Yap MK. Evaluation of proteoglycan gene polymorphisms as risk factors in the genetic susceptibility to high myopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2011; 52: 6396-403. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Jiang B, Yap MK, Leung KM, Ng PW, Fung WY, Lam WW, Yang YS, Yip SP. PAX6 haplotypes are associated with high myopia in Han Chinese. PLoS One 2011; 6: e19587.
[Abstract in PubMed]
• Leung KH, Yiu WC, Yap MK, Ng PW, Fung WY, Sham PC, Yip SP. Systematic investigation of the relationship between high myopia and polymorphisms of the MMP2, TIMP2 and TIMP3 genes by a DNA pooling approach. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2011; 52: 3893-900. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Yip SP, Leung KH, Fung WY, Ng PW, Sham PC, Yap MK. A DNA pooling-based case-control study of myopia candidate genes COL11A1, COL18A1, FBN1, and PLOD1 in a Chinese population. Mol Vis 2011; 17: 810-821. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Yu YS, Wang LL, Shen Y, Yap MK, Yip SP, Han W. Investigation of the association between alltrans-retinol dehydrogenase (RDH8) polymorphisms and high myopia in Chinese. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 2010; 11: 836-841. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Lim KP, Yip SP, Cheung SC, Leung KW, Lam ST, To CH. Novel PRPF31 and PRPH2 mutations and co-occurrence of PRPF31 and RHO mutations in Chinese retinitis pigmentosa patients.
Arch Ophthalmol 2009; 127: 784-790. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Zha Y, Leung KH, Lo KK, Fung WY, Ng PW, Shi MG, Yap MK, Yip SP. TGFB1 is a susceptibility gene for high myopia: a replication study with new findings. Arch Ophthalmol 2009; 127: 541-548. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Kwan WC, Yip SP, Yap MK. Monochromatic aberrations of the human eye and myopia. Clin Exp Optom 2009; 92: 304-312. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Han W, Leung KH, Fung WY, Mak JY, Li YM, Yap MKH, Yip SP. Association of PAX6 polymorphisms with high myopia in Han Chinese nuclear families. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2009; 50: 47–56. [Abstract in PubMed]
• Tang WC, Yap MK, Yip SP. A review of current approaches to identifying human genes involved in myopia. Clin Exp Optom 2008; 91: 4-22. [Abstract in PubMed]
2016 www.abstract.xlibx.info - Free e-library - Abstract, dissertation, book
Materials of this site are available for review, all rights belong to their respective owners.
If you do not agree with the fact that your material is placed on this site, please, email us, we will within 1-2 business days delete him.